Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Are you enjoying your life?

A friend of mine asked me that question the other day and before blurting out " isn't that a rather obvious question" I held my tongue and heard her out, and her sentiments as it turned out, were valid.

That single question triggered a string of questions -rhetoric in nature of course. Am I living each new day as if it were a gift? -because in essence it is. Do I let the people that I love and care about know that I do and often? Do I treat those around me with the same respect and regard that I expect in return? Do I go out of my way to offer help whenever I can and apologize when I can't without overburdening myself? If I want to do something do I just go ahead with it or drive myself crazy with the back and forth "should I" or "Should I not?" Am I worrying less, hoping more and loving myself most? Am I embracing all things positive or am I unnecessarily blowing up every problem? As for my soul what am I feeding it? And what about my intellect -am I tending to that too?

Life is too short -a phrase you'll never hear enough of- so live right and delight in the moment. Stop once in a while to give yourself a pat on the back for achievements made or a pep talk if you're in need of one. Don't take on commitments that you well know you won't have time for only to further complicate your life; just say no if its too much. Appreciate your friends, check up on them every once in a while and be there for them when they call on you. Always realize the worth of family, dysfunctional as it maybe, you're blessed to still have them around unlike many. Don't pass up an opportunity to do some good, it always comes back to you in folds. Don't take your health lightly either, because until you're lying helpless on a bed fighting for your life you might not quite comprehend the value of it. Don't let it get there. Eat right and put in some exercise every once in a while, it won't kill you and your body will thank you for it. As for all those things you're always planning to do for yourself (solely for self-gratification) but you keep putting them off presumably as unimportant, get to them. You should be your number one priority, period.

Treat yourself well and be kind to yourself, only then can you treat those around you as such.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. This are words I need to hear when I'm feeling shitty. When I'm feeling small. When I'm feeling as if there is something missing in my life I don't what is but its missing and there is a nagging pain where "IT" is supposed to occupy. By the way in one of your posts you said I should listen to uplifting music when I'm feeling low. I'll do that. Lately I've been filling myself with blog posts that accentuate depression and songs that only stoke the distress. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete